Re: Problem with Octave installation in cluster

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Problem with Octave installation in cluster
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 17:09:55 -0400

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 22:02:31 -0700, ajaynair wrote:
> Thanks Mike. I had done quiet a bit of searching before posting this.
> Building BLAS and LAPACK as shared libraries is the most common suggestion I
> had found. However, I could not find how to do that given explicitly
> anywhere. From what I could get I followed these procedures for making them
> shared
> *BLAS:*
> gfortran -shared -O2 *.f -o libblas.so -fPIC
>
> *LAPACK: in 'make.inc' file;*
> FORTRAN  = gfortran
> OPTS     = -shared -O2 -fdefault-integer-8 -fPIC
> DRVOPTS  = $(OPTS)
> NOOPT    = -shared -O0 -fdefault-integer-8 -fPIC
> LOADER   = gfortran
> LOADOPTS =
>
> BLASLIB      = /home/wangikar/src/BLAS/libblas.so
> LAPACKLIB    = liblapack.so
>

> Did I do it correctly?

I have no idea. The only system where I've ever had to rebuild BLAS
and LAPACK is RHEL 5 because it is miscompiled as delivered. I use the
lapack source package from Red Hat, modify the build flags, and
rebuild the package (or build the libraries manually but still using
Red Hat's source package and Makefiles as a basis).

> In general
> the discussions about installation of Octave in cluster seems to have a dead
> end, even the threads you have mentioned (there are others also available)
> did not seem to have found a solution. Is there any reason for that? Is it
> not recommended to work with Octave on a cluster?

I have no idea on this either, I work with workstations and laptops. I
wouldn't think there's anything fundamentally preventing Octave from
running on a cluster. If the cluster happens to be running RHEL 5 or a
derivative, then sure there may be problems trying to run the latest
version of Octave on a 7-year-old OS. I manage to get Octave running
on RHEL 5, but without all optional libraries and without 64-bit
indexing.

--
mike