Re: How to print long integers through Octave script in terminal?

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: How to print long integers through Octave script in terminal?
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 11:24:38 -0700 (PDT)

> Well my script is extremely simple, I am trying to open a file with long
> values more than 6 digits after the decimal position. Sample of file:
[...]
> It only prints the first 6 digits after I want to print more than 6 like 15
> digits which is the max of a long format float.
>
> Well on matlab the syntax that I am using is:
>
> test_1 = importdata('output.txt');
> column_1 = test_1(:,5);
>
> Which extracts the 5th column of the *.txt file.
>
> So I am also wondering how can I do that on Octave, extract only the 5th
> column.

Dear Thanos,

it seems that you are confusing integers and floating point numbers. I guess
that you want to print long *floats*? But be warned, it is not wise to care
about the last digit of a very long floating point number. If you are not aware
of this please read e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point and maybe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_epsilon before messing around with data.

To answer your question: I recommend to use "fprintf" as described at
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Formatted-Output.html
to format output. This gives more control than using "format long".

The following works in Octave and Matlab and should help you to get started

%-----
% read tabular data from file
table = load ('output.txt','-ascii');
% loop over all columns and print