parcellfun Uses Only One Core

From: Henry Shu
Subject: parcellfun Uses Only One Core
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 13:02:26 -0800

Hello,

The following code only uses one logical core on my i7-4770K desktop (which has 8 logical cores or 4 physical cores) to execute.

blah = parcellfun(4, @(s) numel(inv(rand(s))), num2cell(repmat(3000, [5000 1])), "ChunksPerProc", 1);

OS: Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
Octave version: 3.6.4
Octave general package version: 1.3.2

Isn't it supposed to execute on all 4 physical cores?  On my i7-3610QM laptop (which also has 8 logical cores or 4 physical cores), the code above indeed utilizes all 4 physical cores.

Could anyone tell me how I may go about hunting down what the culprit is?

parcellfun used to utilize all the physical cores on my i7-4770K desktop fine, until this week.  A check on my /proc/cpuinfo reveals that Ubuntu 12.04 still sees all the cores.  Indeed, if I open 4 Octave sessions and have each run the following, all the cores in my i7-4770K desktop would be utilized.

blah = cellfun(@(s) numel(inv(rand(s))), num2cell(repmat(3000, [5000 1])));

Thanks in advance for any input!