Re: Shush!

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Shush!
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 22:43:39 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Damian Harty wrote:

I'm using octave as part of a larger process, calling it from the command line with the -q argument to keep it quiet.

Except that it isn't. It publishes some warnings to standard error and I'd rather it didn't. Is there a "no really, be quiet" mode?

At the moment I'm using it in a unix-style shell in Cygwin and so I redirect "standard error" to /dev/null, like the good old days. This does exactly what I want but I was curious if there is a "no stderr output" option; I can't see it here: http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Command-Line-Options.html

It has been a couple of months, but I just saw this. In case it helps anyone, with bash I just do this when I want to run something in the background with no stdout or stderr:

process &>/dev/null &

The "&>" catches both.

Mike