Re: Produce Haitian Creole version of Octave

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Produce Haitian Creole version of Octave
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:53:56 +0100

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Jeremy M Orloff <address@hidden> wrote:
> For a project with some statisticians in Haiti we would like to create a
> Haitian Creole version of Octave. We have people who can translate English
> to Creole and even coin new words where none exist. We would want to
> translate the main application and a number of toolboxes. Ideally the
> translation would include all strings that are printed to the screen.
>
> Can someone give me a pointer on how to go about this. I know Octave quite
> well but have zero knowledge about translation. A google search was not
> productive.
>
> Thank you,
> Jerry

Hi Jerry, that is great.

Of course you can do it. I would say you start translating the gui, to
get a feel for it.
Clone the Octave repository and inside your working copy you will find
the folder
libgui/languages/
Inside there you can see all this *.ts files, those are translation
files. Feel free to create one for Creole and submit it to the patch
tracker
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=octave

Fro more info on cloning the repository check the wiki
http://wiki.octave.org
and these instructions
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html