Re: Gnuplot 4.6

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Gnuplot 4.6
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:36:20 -0500

On Dec 14, 2013, at 7:16 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I have seem some amazing improvements on gnuplot quality by adding the
> cairo library. Is GNU Octave exploiting this extended features
> already?
> http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_svg/

I don't think so. When I rewrote the print functionality to allow for multiple
toolkits, I tried to streamline everything as much as possible to reduce
maintenance and bugs. My approach was to have the print() behave similarly for
all toolkits.  Unless there are changes I'm unaware of, the FLTK and gnuplot
toolkits each begin by creating a eps-file and then convert it to the desired
format using epstool, epstoedit, transfig, and/or ghostscript.

For gnuplot, it is possible to do things differently, but there will be other
features.  For example, the linestyles and markertypes are not consistent
across different terminals.  Surprisingly even the fontsize may change across
different terminals (specifying a fontsize of 12 points doesn't always mean
you'll get a a font with a size of 12 points).  All of this manageable, but
since these features are opportunities for bugs, I choose to avoid them in the
initial implementation.

Ben