Re: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA

From: lukshuntim
Subject: Re: Please release RC1 to octave/unstable PPA
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:59:39 +0800

On Monday, December 09, 2013 10:44 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 01:06 -0800, rasmusbergpalm wrote:
Unfortunately I use Octave as part of a CI build and cannot build
octave itself, but I can use a version from the PPA.

Of course you can build Octave yourself. Building Octave on Ubuntu is
one of the easiest systems to build it on. Please attempt it.

You will need the following packages to compile Octave. Just apt-get
install them all:

     gfortran debhelper automake dh-autoreconf texinfo
     texlive-latex-base texlive-generic-recommended epstool transfig
     pstoedit libreadline-dev libncurses5-dev gperf libhdf5-serial-dev
     libblas-dev liblapack-dev gnuplot-nox libfftw3-dev texi2html less
     libpcre3-dev flex libglpk-dev libsuitesparse-dev gawk ghostscript
     libcurl4-gnutls-dev libqhull-dev desktop-file-utils libfltk1.3-dev
     libgl2ps-dev libgraphicsmagick++1-dev libftgl-dev
     libfontconfig1-dev libqrupdate-dev libarpack2-dev dh-exec
     libqt4-dev libqscintilla2-dev llvm-3.0-dev default-jdk dpkg-dev

Then it should be the usual

     ./configure --prefix=/opt/octave && make && sudo make install

or whatever other --prefix you want to install Octave to.

Also, by submitting it to the PPA you'll know whether it builds on
the most common ubuntu distros which i guess is pretty interesting..

We know it builds. We want to see our users attempt to build it and
see what problems they may have. Perhaps you've installed conflicting
packages that the Ubuntu autobuilders don't have, or perhaps you have
user-specific configurations that the autobuilders also don't have.

Thanks in advance,
- Jordi G. H.

There's good news here.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-octave-devel/2013-December/010385.html