Oct function or pure C++ as a header?

From: babelproofreader
Subject: Oct function or pure C++ as a header?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 16:42:19 -0800 (PST)

I am planning on writing a fairly complex neural net training program as a
.oct function which will necessitate calling other specially written
functions. These specially written functions in and of themselves are quite
simple and could easily be written in pure C++ code header files and then
included in the main .oct program. My question is this: what are the
advantages/disadvantages of doing this as opposed to writing these smaller
functions as separate .oct functions?