Re: Shush!

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Shush!
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:10:56 -0400

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 13:30:37 +0000, Damian Harty wrote:
> I don't have any startup files of my own. The messages are these:

I see. These warnings are all from Octave Forge packages being loaded.
Many people often install more Forge packages than they need, one
option might be to uninstall packages that you aren't really using.

> warning: gmsh does not seem to be present some functionalities will be
> disabled
> warning: dx does not seem to be present some functionalities will be disabled

These are from a package, I don't remember which, telling you that
certain optional executables are not installed.

> warning: function
> C:\Octave\Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2_20130408\Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2\share\octave\packages\statistics-1.2.0\fstat.m
>  shadows a core library function

There are occasionally warnings like these when we move functions from
Forge packages into Octave itself.

Another option might be to edit the system startup file (maybe
C:\Octave\Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2_20130408\Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2\share\octave\3.6.4\m\startup\octaverc
on your system?) and try to disable warnings before loading packages
and restore them after.

Or send stderr to null as you did originally, which is the most
appropriate solution for your case IMHO.

HTH,

--
mike