Install error: can't find libGL.so.1

From: Jon Seidel
Subject: Install error: can't find libGL.so.1
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 06:20:17 -0700

I'm trying to compile/install Octave3.6.4 on Kubuntu 12.04.

Several days ago, I downloaded the source, and ran configure which -- after installing a number of dependencies -- shows all is OK. make and make install both worked just fine and I was able to fire up octave and make a few sample calculations.

I subsequently installed Thunderbird and the ruby gem sciruby and now running octave generates the error:

octave: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Now when I try to reinstall, ./configure still reports no missing dependencies, but make fails during the link phase with numerous errors, such as:

./.libs/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `glDeleteLists'
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLU.so.1: undefined reference to `glScalef'
./.libs/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `glMatrixMode'
./.libs/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `glVertex3f'
./.libs/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `glClearColor'
./.libs/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `glPassThrough'
./.libs/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to `glLineWidth'
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLU.so.1: undefined reference to `glEvalPoint2'

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thanks much...jon