Re: Interactive visualization (eg, using D3)?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Interactive visualization (eg, using D3)?
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:00:42 -0400

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 09:17 -0700, Rich Morin wrote:

> It seems plausible that a (JavaScript) single page app could be
> hooked up to an Octave-based back end (e.g., Octave Daemon), but I
> can't find any indication of this sort of effort. Can anyone fill me
> in on the current state of affairs?

There have been several efforts to give Octave a WUI, frequently under
the name of "cloud". I don't know of any that have succeeded, but
perhaps if you search for "cloud Octave" you can find something that
has gotten closer to giving Octave that WUI.

Note that an "octave daemon" is quite easy to do: all you have to do
is start Octave and communicate with it via pipes. It's possibly for
example how e.g. ideone works:

    http://ideone.com/xncy1e

If you actually want to have Octave runnable from the web as in this
example, however, you should be careful about how you jail the Octave
process, because Octave can execute arbitrary system code and consume
all of the system's resources. Sanitising inputs is doomed to fail.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.