Re: Basic question: usage of Java methods in Octave

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Basic question: usage of Java methods in Octave
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 06:15:59 -0700 (PDT)

Fedemone wrote
> Hi there,
>
> thanks for the insightful answers, right now I can only say that my Octave
> version is:
> \Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2\
> Octave was configured for "i686-pc-mingw32".
>
> The java package is: java-1.2.9.
>
> I thought it was tha latest available;

Yes they are (Octave & Java pkg)

>  should I download a newer version? Which is it, in the case? Or should I
> just wait the next official release (which I understand is going to be
> released quite soon)?

The last option would probably be the better.

I must say (and I hope it gives you some faith) that even with older Java
package versions (starting with 1.2.6) I've managed to get a lot of external
Java scripts and programs to work in Octave; 1.2.9 is actually quite good.
But OK I had to experiment a *lot*.
Another "must say" is that I managed to get a lot more Java constructs to
work in Octave than in Matlab. E.g., the Java-UNO bridge (for
OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice) works quite reliably in Octave; in Matlab I've
never managed to get even half way the current code that I have in the io
package. It just won't work.

Matlab is either too picky or its Java support isn't so well thought out (or
both). Telling is that the ML static javaclasspath upon start-up already has
201 entries. So JVM memory is already quite occupied at the very start; I've
often encountered PermGenSpace errors just because of this amount of
preloaded Java class libs.

IOW: as far as Java is concerned I see no need at all to strive for 100 %
Matlab compatibility :-)

Philip