Re: Backspace shows ESCD in Windows 7 64 bit

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Backspace shows ESCD in Windows 7 64 bit
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 12:29:30 -0700 (PDT)

permiek wrote
> I have Octave 3.2.4 installed on Windows 7 (64 bit) using a installer
> supplied by Coursera Machine Learning course.
>
> It is configured for "i686-pc-mingw32".
>
> The "Backspace" key results in <-[D being displayed. I have tried the
> following:
>
> setenv("TERM","dumb")
> setenv("TERM","octave")
> setenv("TERM","")
> setenv("TERM","cygwin")
>
> but none have had any effect.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

3.2.4 is ancient by current standards.

The setenv command does not influence Octave's term setting once Octave is
already running; you'll need to do so somehow before starting Octave.

I'd suggest to simply upgrade to a newer Octave version.
On SourceForge there are several newer Octave versions available, see here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave Windows binaries/

The MSVC 3.6.4 binary there probably has the easiest installer. Don't forget
to select the add-on packages you may need while running the installer.

Philip