decoding error message

From: asha g
Subject: decoding error message
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:03:14 -0800 (PST)

Please help with the following section of code in a
larger function file :

for iii = 2:(N-1)
S(iii) = V1(iii) + (deltat*(P(iii)));
end

I get the following error message :

error: invalid vector index = 2
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating for command near line 46, column 1
error: called from `timedepaxoct' in file
`/home/ashag/work/ashag/aseasha/timedepaxoct.m'
error: evaluating for command near line 61, column 1
error: near line 89 of file
`/home/ashag/work/ashag/aseasha/axactoct.m

If I write for iii = 1: N-1

I get :

error: binary operator `*' not implemented for
`scalar' by `cell' operations
error: evaluating binary operator `*' near line 47,
column 25
error: evaluating binary operator `+' near line 47,
column 17
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 47,
column 8
error: evaluating for command near line 46, column 1
error: called from `timedepaxoct' in file
`/home/ashag/work/ashag/aseasha/timedepaxoct.m'
error: evaluating for command near line 61, column 1
error: near line 89 of file
`/home/ashag/work/ashag/aseasha/axactoct.m'

Please explain. I have pulled my hair out trying to
understand why I get this - as I did not get this in
another variant of the same program.
I know Octave is all about sharing - so kindly excuse
my repeated requests for help.
Thanks
Asha

  Goals too clearly defined can become blinkers.
  Mary Catherine Bateson

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs