Re: Octave-Forge: Segmentation Fault

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Segmentation Fault
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:00:12 -0500

On Nov 22, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

Ben Abbott schrieb:
Thomas,
There's a thread on sourceforge here http://sourceforge.net/ tracker/index.php? func=detail&aid=1825780&group_id=17203&atid=414256 I've never encountered a seg-fault using a ppc. Further, I only encounter a seg-fault when I install SuiteSparse *without* libcsparse.a, build Octave-2.9.17, and try to install Octave-Forge-20071014. When I include libcsparse.a in the SuiteSparse install, or remove SuiteSparse entirely, I have no problem ... I've duplicated that effort twice.

Sounds to me being an optimization problem or something like that when building SuiteSparse?! I'm compiling SuiteSparse 3.0.0 since I compile Octave 2.9.12 and use libcsparse.a before I compile Octave. I also apply the patch SuiteSparse-3.0.0.diff before building SuiteSparse without metis (don't know if you have a current SVN of Octave-forge checked out, here is the link)

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/ admin/MacOSX/solvedeps

Thomas, can you tell me how to apply the patch (specific command) for SuiteSparse?

Modify Line 77 (+F77 = f2c) of that *.diff file into your needs for gfortran and then build another SuiteSparse,

  bash~:$ export CC=gcc
bash~:$ export CFLAGS="-fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -fexceptions - D_POSIX_C_SOURCE -D__NOEXTENSIONS__ -DNPARTITION"
  bash~:$ make

try to use that created libcsparse.a instead... I don't know which option actually fails for you but you can add one flag by another in F77FLAGS of ./SuiteSparse/UFconfig/UFconfig.mk or in CFLAGS above (eg. -O3 -mieee-fp ...) - doesn't Fink already have a SuiteSparse package ready?

A SuiteSparse package was just recently added to Fink (last week). The present problem was encountered during tests of that package.