Optimization problem

From: Oscar Bayona Candel
Subject: Optimization problem
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:58:22 +0100

Hi I have got this optimization problem and I don´t now how itsolve the problem:

           A=[
548 555 548 554
558 559 552 553
556 561 556 560
565 568 565 566
565 572 564 571
558 559 552 100
555 548 100 100
568 565 566 100
565 568 565 566
565 572 564 571
558 559 552 100
548 554 558 559
552 553 555 548
556 560 568 565
565 566 565 568
564 571 565 572
552 100 558 559
100 100 556 560
566 100 565 566
]

I have got:

"A" whose size is N,M

k=1

I create a new matrix from A called H

for i=(k+1):N
H(i-k,1)=A(i+k,1)-A(i,3);
end

So H is sized [(N-1-k),1]

%H tries to obtain the rest of the next k element of the column 1 of the matrix A, minus the i element of matrtix A column 3

At the other side, I have P who is a zeros and 1 ones vector

Whith P is always sized [N-1,1]

Z=H.*P((k+1):end,1);

I wanto to make two optimitations:

1. Find the  minimum k so that all the elements of Z will be >=0.

Other program:

2.It will be posible that there is no k that makes all Z components >=0 so I want to find the k that makes sum(Z) the maximun.
Adittionaly in another version of the program I want to find k between 2:8 that make sum(Z) maximum.

In solver excel I have achieved but I´m not able to make it in octave.

Can you again help me one more time.

Thanks for all in advance and Best regards.

If you can´t help me will you be able to send me documentation to be able to do it.?