how to apply gnuplot_fixed to octave 2.9.16 MSVC

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: how to apply gnuplot_fixed to octave 2.9.16 MSVC
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:45:10 -0500

Hi all,

I try to install octave 2.9.16 MSVC on Windows XP with the fixed gnuplot (from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888&package_id=40078 ).
I replaced the gnuplot executables (pgnuplot.exe  pgnuplot_win.exe  wgnuplot.exe) in C:\Program Files\Octave\bin by those from the zip file gnuplot_fixed.zip. However, a plot gives me the following error message:

octave-2.9.16.exe:1> plot(1:10)
The system cannot execute the specified program.
The system cannot execute the specified program.
error: compare_versions: version numbers must be a single row
error: evaluating if command near line 74, column 3
error: called from `compare_versions' in file `C:\Program Files\Octave\share\oct
ave\2.9.16\m\miscellaneous\compare_versions.m'
error: evaluating static command near line 31, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 25, column 3
error: called from `__go_draw_axes__' in file `C:\Program Files\Octave\share\oct
ave\2.9.16\m\plot\__go_draw_axes__.m'
[...]

And if I execute wgnuplot.exe directly from the windows explorer I get the error message:
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Could somebody give me a clue how to install correctly the executables in gnuplot_fixed.zip?

Thanks

Alex