Re: Question on plotting vector field

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Question on plotting vector field
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:58:24 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
> Hi
> I am a college student and I have a homework assiment to model
> groundwater fluid flow. In this model we are to plot the vectors of
> the fluid flow. I can calculate the values of the vectors in excel but
> excel does not have the option of plotting a "vector field". So I was
> wondering if your program octave can plot a "vector field" and if so
> how?
> Thank you
> Ryan Paynter
> address@hidden

2-D or 3-D vector fields? Octave does not have an option to plot 3-D
vector fields. For 2-D vector fields Octave 2.9.17 has the quiver
command in built. For versions of Octave earlier than that you'll need
the octave-forge quiver command, that can only be guaranteed to work for
versions of Octave up to 2.9.9 due to the massive changes in the Octave
plotting interface between 2.9.9 and 2.9.17..

The first demo from the quiver command is.

 [x,y] = meshgrid(1:2:20);
 quiver(x,y,sin(2*pi*x/10),sin(2*pi*y/10))

quiver takes 4 arguments where the first two are the xy abscissa and the
second are the uv vector fields you wish to plot at these abscissa.

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary