Re: eigs and Octave.app

From: Mark McClure
Subject: Re: eigs and Octave.app
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:52:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry F. Mollet" <address@hidden>
Date: Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:31 pm

> I had no luck either and cannot locate -larpack. Not sure if
> this another package, a file, or an option when installing
> arpack. (Using OSX 10.4.10 on PCC).
>
> octave-2.9.17:8> pkg install Desktop/arpack-1.0.2.tar
> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -larpack

Thanks for the confirmation.  I believe that the complaint you
are seeing is issued by the file link editor ld.  The -l option
indicates a library to link to, so I suppose that -larpack
indicates that the command is looking for the arpack library.
This was the exact error that was generated with my first
few tries.

I'm guessing that the eigs package doesn't include arpack at
all, but simply provides tools (bindings) to call arpack
from octave.  So, I downloaded arpack and the arpack patch,
found that I needed a fortran compiler (so I also downloaded
gfortran), compiled arpack (after a few tries), and placed
the generated library file libarpack.a in the directory
/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/lib.

Now, I no longer get the -larpack complaint, rather I get
the gfortran missing symbols complaints.  Kinda stuck. :(

Mark