Re: Config problem with BLAS lib

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Config problem with BLAS lib
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:09:29 -0500

On  9-Nov-2007, John wrote:

| On Friday 09 November 2007 09:07, you wrote:
| > On  9-Nov-2007, John wrote:
| > | I use an alias to invoke "run-octave", using "octave" on the command
| > | line.
| >
| > Why would you do that?  It would make more sense to install Octave
| > with "make install" and then add $bindir to your PATH (if it is not
| > already there).  The run-octave script is really only intended to be
| > used for testing Octave before it is installed.
| >
| > jwe
|
| Hello,
|
| Thank you for the information. I just checked octave's Makefile, and there is
| an "uninstall" target. So I will "make install", and "make uninstall" when
| Octave 3.0 is released. Very interesting program, by the way!

I'm not sure how useful uninstall targets are, since I would be that
most people wipe out the sources after they install anyway.

If you are concerned about being able to uninstall everything, I would
recommend using precompiled packages.  Isn't there one for your
system?

If you want to compile from source, then a good way to build Octave
that allows for everything to be easily removed is to configure with
something like

  --prefix=/usr/local/octave/2.9.16

Since everything is installed below this directory, uninstalling is as
simple as

  rm -rf /usr/local/octave/2.9.16

Installing this way also allows you to have multiple versions
installed simultaneously with no conflicts.

In the future, please reply on the list so the discussion remains
public.

jwe