Latin1 encoding in EPS print

From: Gard Spreemann
Subject: Latin1 encoding in EPS print
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:01:19 +0100

Hi.

As of lately I've been trying to print to EPS a plot which has latin1
characters (specifically the Norwegian characters æ, ø and å) in the
title and on the axes. When viewing the EPS file in a text editor, it
contains the latin1-encoded characters, but when viewing in an EPS
viewer or converting to PDF with epstopdf, the characters are missing.

I have compared the EPS file to one exported by Matlab, and the Matlab
one has the line
/Helvetica /ISOLatin1Encoding 120 FMSR
somewhere and shows correctly in the EPS viewer.

I'm struggling to make Octave produce this type of file. I've tried
sending raw commands to Gnuplot (__gnuplot_raw__("set encoding
iso_8859_1;")) and I've tried redefining the plot command to set the
encoding before plotting, but no luck.

I've tried with Octave 2.9.12 and 2.9.16, and Gnuplot 4.2.0 and 4.2.2.
Does anybody have any ideas?

--
Gard Spreemann
 http://folk.ntnu.no/spreeman/