Re: octave windows 2.9.12-3 Question

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: octave windows 2.9.12-3 Question
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:01:44 +0200

helloman wrote:
> I have installed Batemans compiled octave 2.9.12 for windows. I have selected
> all the packages in the options. I have 3 questions on the octave. I am very
> recent to octave, so please bear me if its a silly question.
>
> 1. When I am trying to use -> pkg load all, I am getting this warning. is
> there any way to get rid of this warning.

"pkg load all" is probably a bad idea if you have all the packages
install. The reason is packages like NaN change the default behavior of
many basic Octave function. So if you don't want this behavior you
shouldn't load these packages.. By default many of the packages are
already loaded at start (see "pkg list" and look for the "*")

> 'which' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> gmsh does not seem to be present some functionalities will be disabled
> 'which' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> dx does not seem to be present some functionalities will be disabled

Ok, this is a bug in the secs2d package, in that it assumes that "which"
is available. I checked in a fix for this bug, but I suspect that
Michael didn't include them. You can get windows binaries at

http://www.geuz.org/gmsh
http://www.opendx.org

Though opendx needs an OpenGL capable X-windows, and that might be a
problem for a Windows platform..

> 2. x=chirp([0:0.001:2],0,2,500);
> specgram(x,128,1000,100,80)
> This command is not giving me the full spectrum. The spectrum by default is
> in gray. Is there a way to change it to RGB.

This seems to be working correctly. I took the example

t = 0:0.001:2;              % 2 secs @ 1kHz sample rate
y = chirp(t,0,1,150);       % Start @ DC, cross 150Hz at t=1 sec
specgram(y,256,1e3,256,250)

from the webpage

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/signal/

and it produced the same image. Note the axes are incorrect as specgram
currently doesn't pass the axes to imagesc.. I applied a patch to
octave-forge to correct this.

> 3. Is it possible to update the gnuplot from 4.0 to 4.2. Is 4.2 stable?

It does have gnuplot 4.2..

D.