Re: Newbie Q: Launching in OSX

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Launching in OSX
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:25:55 -0500

On 25/06/07, Gregory <address@hidden> wrote:
I downloaded the "easy to install" binaries for Octave from http://
hpc.sourceforge.net/#octave, but don't know what to do next to get it
to run.  I'm a Matlab user, but not good with programs that don't
have a clear icon for me to double-click on.

Wild guess, open an Aquaterm and type "octave"?

Er, Aquaterms are installed by default on Macs, aren't they? If not,
there must be another terminal emulation program, since MacOS X *is* a
Unix, even if it tries hard to hide this fact.

I've had very brief experience with MacOS X, so perhaps I shouldn't be
attempting to answer your question.

As far as an interface to Octave, there's QtOctave, which I hear is
planned to be released as a comfortable MacOS X binary soon. In the
meantime, you could compile it yourself, but if opening a terminal and
typing a program's name is unfamiliar territory, then perhaps
compiling a program will be even more unfamiliar.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.