RE: NI TDMS file format

From: Allen.Windhorn
Subject: RE: NI TDMS file format
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:10:35 -0500

Muthu,

I won't be using the dll with Octave and am not distributing anything
anyway, but am looking for an equivalent solution in Octave.  Sounds as
if there is none.

> Apart from legal concerns, looking at NI's page on TDM/TMS
> http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3676 they save all
> our experimental data but fail to provide any type of
> standard reference or public API and format specification for
> 3rd party developers. This closed-file-formats are hard to be
> friends with.

Very true, but I think we are stuck with it, as our developer says it is
the only Labview format that will support our data rate.

> I would suggest you to use something within LabView to read
> this mega-file and convert it into ASCII text format of
> Octave, or output a Octave script file or a MAT file or
> something. Its your data, and infact you should try using
> open formats for data, for your own benefit.

We have that, but it chokes on files the size we are creating.  I'll use
Matlab for now and work with NI on a conversion program.  Isn't there an
open-source binary data file format around?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Allen