Re: NI TDMS file format

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Re: NI TDMS file format
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:10:56 -0500

Hello all,

We are creating data files of several hundred megabytes in NI .tdms
format, and I need to manipulate them using Octave (could use Matlab,
but not as convenient).  There is a DLL available for Matlab
(http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0EEADA99DC7D00A4862572E30037C3A2
) that allows these to be read directly, but the example doesn't work in
Octave (didn't really expect it to).  Also, there is a DLL allowing
reading these files with C++, but I'm not experienced in C++ and still a
novice at Octave, so wouldn't be comfortable writing my own extension.
Is there an alternative method or some way to adapt the Matlab DLL?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Regards,
Allen
--
Allen Windhorn, P.E. (MN)
Kato Engineering  (507) 345-2782

AFAIK this binary-linking is anti-GPL. You could develop and use them,
maybe on your own, but nobody should be distributing this stuff, as it breaks
the license which Octave is distributed with. Others on the list, can
clarify this
issue.

Apart from legal concerns, looking at NI's page on TDM/TMS
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3676 they save all our
experimental data but fail to provide any type of standard reference or public
API and format specification for 3rd party developers. This
closed-file-formats are
hard to be friends with.

Even when there are specs we have a hard time fully-supporting them (XML). IMHO,
looking through and reconstructing TDM/TDMS format is a non-starter.

I would suggest you to use something within LabView to read this mega-file and
convert it into ASCII text format of Octave, or output a Octave script
file or a MAT
file or something. Its your data, and infact you should try using open
formats for
data, for your own benefit.

Again, I wish someone will clarify the GPL point, and comment on the rest.

Regards,
Muthu