Re: lsode for matrix DGLs?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: lsode for matrix DGLs?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:14:57 +0200

On 22.06.2007, at 21:19, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 22-Jun-2007, Matthias Brennwald wrote:

| I guess
| Johns approach of reshaping my matrices to vectors should do the trick.

Only if you have T as a scalar and the dimension of the vector
returned by F is the same as the dimension of the state variable X.

I don't recall ever encountering a differential equation in which the
independent variable (T) is a vector.  Can you give us some more
detail about the problem you are trying to solve?  How does T enter
the problem?

jwe

Ok, here's what I'm thinking about: I have a model consisting of N boxes ('compartments' or 'reservoirs') filled with water. The water in each box contains M solvents. The boxes are connected to each other by a network of pipes, and water can flow from one box to another through this network, therefore exchanging solvents between the boxes. Furhtermore, the solvents are radioactive. For instance, if a solvent A decays to solvent B, I'll have to consider the decrease in the concentration of A and the corresponding increase in the concentration of B.

So, I thought I'd set up my variables as follows:

- t is time
- C(i,j) is the concentration of solvent i in box j (i=1...M, j=1...N). This is a function of time t. - F(k,l) is the water flux from box k to box l (k, l = 1...N, with the diagonal elements zero). - R(u,v) the production rate of solvent v from the radioactive decay of u (u,v = 1...M, with R(u,v) <= 0 for u=v and R(u,v) >= 0 for u != v).

So, t is a scalar, and C, F and R are matrices.

With these variables, it should be possible to write down a differential equation for C that completely describes the dynamics of the solutes in the different boxes. dC/dt is then a matrix, too.

In Octave, the time steps will be stored in a vector. If the length of this vector is P, the solution of the differential equation will consist of P matrices of size M x N, i.e. a M x N x P array.

Matthias

-------
Matthias Brennwald
Lägernstrasse 6