Re: lsode for matrix DGLs?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: lsode for matrix DGLs?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:15:24 +0200

On 22.06.2007, at 19:07, address@hidden wrote:

I think you should use the ode's functions for that.

What do you mean by 'that'?

the lsode calculate
the jacob matrix, and you need partials, not only dt,
I hope this example will help.

Lotka- Volterra equations:
dx/dt=x*(a-b*y)
dy/dt=-y*(c-d*x)

making a function:

function ydot = lotkavolterra(t,y)
global a b c d
A= [ a                 -b*y(1)
         d*y(2)         -c         ];
ydot = A*y;

in octave:
octave>a=1.5;b=1;c=3;d=1;
[t,y]=ode23(@lotkavolterra,[0 20],[2 2]);

Uhm, ode23 is from the competition, right?

plot(t,y(:,1))
hold on
plot(t,y(:,2))

So, y1 = y(:,1) and y2 = y(:,2) are two vectors reflecting two _scalar_ functions of time t: y1(t) and y2(t) What I'm after is two (or more) _matrix_ functions of time. I guess Johns approach of reshaping my matrices to vectors should do the trick.

Cheers
Matthias

-------
Matthias Brennwald