Re: Slowness in function 'open'

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Slowness in function 'open'
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:14:42 -0400 (EDT)

   I have a batch process that at some point invokes a program created in C++
   that outputs a text file. That program will not create a binary Octave file
   (for several reasons like having to use the textual output with other
   applications). After this file is generated, Octave is called to do some

Why not have the C++ program write out the octave-binary file as well
as the text file? It certainly will be the fastest way (a separate
postprocessing step would still have to do format conversion back to
binary).

The only disadvantage I can see is extra disk space used (not a big
issue at current disk prices of 10 cents/gigabyte) and some additional
file management headaches.