Re: using binary octave 2.9.12

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: using binary octave 2.9.12
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:43:34 -0700

David,

Thank you for your reply.  I forgot to cc the group.

> Its not that bad as the OO classes in octave are
> often just containers for the data itself, and that is
> copy of write. The slow-ups are more in the parser and
> symbol lookup than elsewhere, and some of the changes
> that John has in the pipeline for 3.1 will address that
> but at the cost of a period of instability..

> The equivalent in Octave is to access the raw data with
> the fortran_vec() method and then operate on that..
> This is done often in speed critical sections of code..
> Look at the filter.cc code for example..

Will do.

There are a ton of functions I've never known about in
octave.

> The command I gave you just means that the package is
> not automatically loaded at startup not that you
> uninstall and make totally unavailable the code..
> Note I also worked on the speed of the startup of
> pkg and its now under 2 seconds with 60 packages
> loaded on my machine..

Is this a new version to download?

> See the section on the package manager in the manual
> in 2.9.12 for more info.

I have a great deal of difficulty navigating through the
manual. But will take a look.

> My point was that it is an old dos window.. It is
> in fact the cmd.exe command from windows itself
> that is used for the terminal. As all the other
> options had one disadvantage or another.. The command
> window in the 2.1.50 is the cygwin rxvt. As Octave
> 2.1.50 in the windows binary is built with cygwin
> that makes sense. However, including all of cygwin
> just to have an rxvt terminal with an MSVC compiled
> binary doesn't.. I believe this will only be address
> with an IDE on windows.

> There is html formated help in 2.9.12.. Want to keep
> the help available, use the help option in the Octave
> start menu..

Didn't know about that.

> I don't think the terminal will be improved, though
> you can use console2 as an option with Michael's
> installer.. As for the gnuplot issue ask on
> list as Michael reads the lists..

yeah, forgot to cc the group.

> Update your java to 1.6 and it'll be fine..

How?  I looked for java on my WinXP system and found two
empty folders in C:\WINDOWS\Java

> Not without at least java 1.5 installed it won't
> be ok..

Is java only used by octave?  Or will there be some benefit
from having java installed?

> Then install cygwin and I believe the modifications
> to the octave startup script will be just to replace
> cmd.exe with rxvt.exe

ARRRRG!
I once installed cygwin and instantly became confronted
with all kinds of problems that I could not sort out, so
had to remove it.  When I say 'could not sort out' I even
refer to the symptoms I got hit with.  Couldn't even
articulate them. So no way to fix them.  Easiest solution
was to remove cygwin.

No doubt about it.  Got to get Linux up and running and get
out from under MS.

Robert