Re: loading the functions automatically

From: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Subject: Re: loading the functions automatically
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:50:22 -0400

John W. Eaton wrote:

> | That is the function even_odd1 is loaded into the memory. Now if I go
> | back to even_odd.m and change the function even_odd1, then the changes
> | are not reflected back on the octave command line.
>
> Don't define the function in a script file.  Instead, just define the
> function in a function file:

The problem I have shown here is part of rather large task. The reason why I
prefer scripts to functions is that in scripts, I can define multiple
functions. This allows me to group related functions and put them into one
single file rather than scattering them across different files (something
like Fortran 95's modules). If I were to make all the functions in these
scripts into separate function files then my directory will be full of
files and it becomes very difficult (at least for me) to keep track of what
is going on...

> Functions defined in scripts are not automatically reloaded because
> doing that would have potentially odd side effects.

OK! Thanks.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi