Re: IDE for octave

From: Nicolas Pettiaux
Subject: Re: IDE for octave
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:18:21 +0200

2007/6/14, Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>:
> The IDE is moderately necessary, but would be very welcomed, but the
> graph  zooming function with the mouse *is* needed as it is currently
> used in matlab and considered as necessary.

I suggest you to test QtOctave (1), a GPL'd IDE for Octave. It is based on Qt
and it can be compiled to work on Linux, Windows or Mac. It is in development
phase and the authors are pretty receptive about suggestions.

(1) http://qtoctave.wordpress.com

QtOctave has its own internal text editor, in case you wanted to use it,

I have tried a previous version of qtoctave recently, and I wanted to
thank the authors very much for what they have done and guven to the
people like me who want to move easily from matlab to octave and have
the users "feel at home".

I use Kubuntu (7.04) and it compiles very easily. It has got a graphical
installation tool to make things easier.

I would like to have a packet created for ubuntu easy installation
(and at the ULB by the sysadmin) but I wont have have the time to make
it soon.

I"ll test the new qtoctave and I wonder if it answers John Eaton
remarks about the fact that it would be necessary that the editor used
in the IDE be fully aware of octave internal state.

Thanks,

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux - email: address@hidden
Utiliser des formats ouverts et des logiciels libres -