Re: IDE for octave

From: Javier Arantegui
Subject: Re: IDE for octave
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:36:58 +0200

Hello,

El Jueves, 14 de Junio de 2007, Nicolas Pettiaux escribió:
> The IDE is moderately necessary, but would be very welcomed, but the
> graph  zooming function with the mouse *is* needed as it is currently
> used in matlab and considered as necessary.

I suggest you to test QtOctave (1), a GPL'd IDE for Octave. It is based on Qt
and it can be compiled to work on Linux, Windows or Mac. It is in development
phase and the authors are pretty receptive about suggestions.

(1) http://qtoctave.wordpress.com

QtOctave has its own internal text editor, in case you wanted to use it, and
tools for viewing matrixes and the list of variables. It has as well menus
for plotting, statistics, solving equations, etc. to ease working with
Octave. That's very interesting for novices. The menus are generated using a
widgetserver and it seems that it's very easy to write your own.

Zooming using the mouse could be done using Gnuplot, but it's not very
intuitive.

> We shall use octave on ubuntu feisty.

I use Kubuntu (7.04) and it compiles very easily. It has got a graphical
installation tool to make things easier.

Javier

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax  +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es