[Fwd: Re: Controlling Gnuplot from Octave]

From: etienne
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Controlling Gnuplot from Octave]
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:01:23 -0700 (PDT)

  Oops
----------------------------------------------------------------- Original
Message -----------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Controlling Gnuplot from Octave
From:    address@hidden
Date:    Wed, June 13, 2007 21:47
To:      "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
Cc:      address@hidden
         "tlhiv" <address@hidden>
         address@hidden

  Hi,

this may help:

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 06:26:55PM -0800, address@hidden wrote:
#   Hi All,
#
# I developed for my work at Tyzx (.com) a raw octave-gnuplot interface: it
# creates temp dirs, saves data, and allows you to run gnuplot with the
# commands of your choice. If you know how to use gnuplot (and octave), this
# interface may be useful. I have been authorized to distribute it and send
# it in attachment.
#
[snip]
#
#   From g_new():
# ============================================================================
# octave:131> help g_new
# g = g_new ( ...)            - Create a new gnuplot_object and its directory
#
# The g_XYZ() functions allow Octave to create plots with Gnuplot. They
# are little more than an Octave front-end to Gnuplot, but allow to do
# anything Gnuplot can do directly from Octave. In addition, there are some
# commodity functions (g_cmd() with struct arg, g_locate()) that allow to nest
# one figure in another.
#
# g_new() creates a temporary directory in which data and commands will be
# stored in a gnuplot-readable format.
#
# g_new accepts key, value pairs of arguments, which will be passed to g_set.
#
# Typical usage:
#
# g = g_new (<my options, e.g. on how to display>)
# g = g_data (g, "myChosenDataFileName", data, ...)
# g = g_cmd (g, <gnuplot commands, e.g.>,\
#               "plot 'myChosenDataFileName' with lines",...);
# g_plot (g,<options on how to plot, e.g. to file>);
#
# DEMO: Run g_demo(), or see http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.1 on how to
#       do nice plots.
#
# SEE ALSO: g_ez, g_delete, g_data, g_cmd, g_plot, g_set, g_locate.
#
# TODO: an OO style of function call (see failed attempt at end of g_new code)

 I'll upload the code to http://www.isr.ist.utl.pt/~etienne/g_xyz.tgz.

  Unfortunately, it seems to break under gnuplot 4.3, and I do not have time
for fixes or support :-(, so ymmv.

  Etienne