Re: "save" to and "load" from file descriptor

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: "save" to and "load" from file descriptor
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:12:09 +0200

Thank you for your hints, Tom.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 11:26:12AM -0400, Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E] wrote:
> You could try using the socket package from octave-forge. You can set up a
> regular socket, and then use the send and recv calls.

This would be an alternative to a pipe (though my Debian system seems
not to include this package). But as you say:

> They only work for
> byte strings at the moment,

the problem is the same as with pipes.

> but you could serialize your cell array using
> the new xml code,

This is interesting and would work with pipes too --- I did not find
an xml-package in octave-forge or any documentation regarding xml
within octave --- where is that code?

> or just sprintf.

This I do not understand. The cell arrays would have arbitrary
contents, so I do not think this would work.

The xml code would be a possibility if it can produce byte strings,
not just files. Still I think since "save" and "load" obviously have a
dedicated and working serialization code, it would be the best to make
them work with file descriptors (or with sockets).

Olaf