Re: user defined octave classes

From: tino . scherrer
Subject: Re: user defined octave classes
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:02:01 +0200

> Von: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>

> On 24-Apr-2007, Tino Scherrer wrote:

> | Is this OOP syntax/grammar available from octave (couldn't find it)?
>
> No.
>
> | Are there plans for future releases?
>
> Yes.  If you are interested in helping out with this, then please join
> the Octave maintainers mailing list and contribute in some way.
Currently there are several things where I would like to contribute. Until I
feel ready to really improve octave I consider this help-list more appropriate
to find out about existing features. Do you think I should have written it to
the maintainers list?

> | Or is it not worthwhile to
> | think about OOP, because for some reason the octave design doesn't
> | allow it?
>
> Yes, the design of Octave sucks,
This was definitely not what I wanted to pexpress with my question, which was
meant absolutely neutral. While studying parts of octave's source code I find
it sometimes confusing, but I have no idea whether it could be improved
(besides extensions, of course). The reason is that I am neither computer
scientist nor familiar with compiler design beyond knowledge of bison/flex
tutorials.

> but perhaps not so much that
> implementing the OO features of Matlab is impossible.
good to hear. Once I find the time to start working on it (may be in 2 months
or in 2 years...), I'll announce it to the maintainers list.

Tino