Re: Octave Forge (2.1.73) under Windows XP Can't load packages

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Octave Forge (2.1.73) under Windows XP Can't load packages
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:03:09 -0500

I have been talking to him privately, and I think that we are making progress :-)
He has wavread and write now working.
Doug

Quentin Spencer wrote:
barch wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to get started with Octave and have so far had success (after a
bit of work) using built in functions and GNU Plots etc.

I would now like to use some of the Octave-Forge functions, as I want to
load .wav files for some sound processing. I am however having a lot of
problems with this; and to date have not been able to get any Octave-Forge
functions working. I suspect that it is a path issue so my octave paths are
listed below:

Octave's search path contains the following directories:

  .
  /usr/lib/octave/2.1.73/site/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
  /usr/lib/octave/site/oct/api-v13/i686-pc-cygwin//
  /usr/lib/octave/site/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
  /usr/share/octave/2.1.73/site/m//
  /usr/share/octave/site/api-v13/m//
  /usr/share/octave/site/m//
  /usr/lib/octave/2.1.73/oct/i686-pc-cygwin//
  /usr/share/octave/2.1.73/m//
  /cygdrive/c/User/Octave

>From what I heave read I should be able to load the Octave-Forge functions
by using:
"pkg load all"
or "pkg load _package_name"

Niether of these commands work, I just get a syntax errror. I installed
Octave using the Octave Octave Forge Windows Octave 2.1.73 (Windows
Installer March 24, 2006 ) The link called testing on Octave Site.

Any tips on how I can debug my setup to get the Octave Forge Packages
working? What is the simplist way to isolate the problem, are there any
simple test calls I can make?
To use the new octave-forge package system, you need octave 2.9.10. If you're using octave 2.1.73, you can only use older octave-forge releases. However, I was under the impression that the octave windows installer already included octave-forge.

Quentin