Octave for YDL 5.0.x... install problem & cell programming offer

From: Don Roberts
Subject: Octave for YDL 5.0.x... install problem & cell programming offer
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:11:53 -0700

Hi;

I've been fighting a loosing battle trying to install Octave under YDL 5.0.1 (running on a PS3).  Your OctaveForGNULinux says Octave is part of the Fedora Extras and just a "yum install octave-forge" will do it.  But the YDL 5 distro doesn't have Octave in the extras! (at least not that a "yum list" could find).  With over a dozen dependancies, it looks like RPM hell.  I have 10 years experience on UNIX and Solaris, but I'm a newbie on installs.  >> Any pointers? <<

My key expertise is in parallel processing, and my reason for getting the PS3 is to start moving some cpu-hog functions onto the SPEs.  So I'm very interested in coordinating with anyone who may be doing something similar.

cheers,
James D. (Don) Roberts