gnuplot zoom not functioning anymore in octave 2.9.10

From: Petr Mikulik
Subject: gnuplot zoom not functioning anymore in octave 2.9.10
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:38:42 +0200

>Wed Apr 4 09:33:03 CDT 2007
>| until version 2.9.9, it was possible to enable zoom with the
>| "set mouse" command (e.g. in ~/.gnuplot). After changing to
>| version 2.9.10, this does not function anymore.
>
>It still works for me with gnuplot 4.0.
>
>With gnuplot 4.2 I can rotate and zoom 3d plots, but zooming 2d plots
>does not work for me when gnuplot is called from Octave.  It does work
>when I run gnuplot directly.  I don't know what the proper fix is.  In
>any case, the changes you make with the mouse will still not be
>reflected in the axes settings seen by Octave as the communication
>with gnuplot is still a simple one way pipe.

I had a look what octave 2.9.10 is doing by:

        octave> gnuplot_binary('tee a.log | gnuplot');

and there appears:

plot "-" using ($1):($2) title "" with lines linestyle 1;
-20 -20
-19 -19
-18 -18

Therefrom, octave does no longer use temporary data files but switched
to inline data. That's a nice improvement. Unfortunately, gnuplot
ignores "replot" for plots with "-", and consequently mousing+hotkeys do
not work.

Thus, it looks like a strong demand to gnuplot developers to implement
replot for "-". This matter was discussed recently, see below...

Note: 3D plots, e.g.
        octave> mesh(hilb(9))
which produces
        splot "-" using ($1):($2):($3) title "" with line palette;
        1 1 1
        1 2 2
can be rotated by mouse, because gnuplot reuses the loaded 3D data in
this case (no reload -- fast rotation); but hotkeys relying on replot do
not work again.

Does somebody know how to implement it?

---
PM