How to actually change octave's LOADPATH?

From: Juan Florentino
Subject: How to actually change octave's LOADPATH?
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:03:56 +0200

Greetings,

This is kind of a newbie question: I am using Octave 2.1.73 from within cygwin (I am using windows xp service pack 2). I would like to point to a directory different than the one in which octave is stored to use my own functions.
I read in several places that I "just" need to add a  line to the octaverc file but I have tried several things but am still unable to call any functions.

this is the default directory:

C:\cygwin\usr\share\octave\2.1
.73\m

and this is the extra directory I would like to point to:

D:\Quantum-Octave

This is what I tried among others in octaverc but it did not work:

LOADPATH = [LOADPATH,
":/cygdrive/D/Quantum-Octave//"];

I would greatly appreciate any help to find the solution,
Juan