Re: gnuplot zoom not functioning anymore in octave 2.9.10

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: gnuplot zoom not functioning anymore in octave 2.9.10
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:43:19 +0200

>  __gnuplot_raw__(sprintf("set terminal %s size %d,%d%s;\n",
>                         fmt, imgw, imgh, imgd));
>  __gnuplot_raw__(sprintf("set output \"%s\";\n", imgfilename));
>  __gnuplot_raw__("set key left top;\n");
>  plot(x, out, ";;", delayx, delayy, ";delay;",
>       Frtime, tfrc(Frtime), "*g;feedback reports;",
>       Datime, dama(Datime), "ob;DAMA allocations;");
>
>The __gnuplot_raw__ commands will no longer do what you want, and I
>think that we have been telling people for a long time now that these
>commands are for internal use only (that's why they have the __x__
>names) and that they are subject to change or removal.

Thank you for reminding.  The problem is that I could not find a cleaner
way to have it work without an X11 terminal in 2.9.9.  I even tried
using "legend(2);replot;" but while it works on the X11 terminal, it
produces no results on the png file.  I suppose these problems are not
worth mentioning now that 2.9.10 is out.

>To make this code work completely with the new version of Octave, you
>would need to write it as something like
>
>  figure ("visible", "off");
>  plot (x, out, ";;", delayx, delayy, ";delay;",
>        Frtime, tfrc(Frtime), "*g;feedback reports;",
>        Datime, dama(Datime), "ob;DAMA allocations;");
>  legend (2);
>  print (imgfilename, "-dpng");

Thank you.  I will try this when I install 2.9.10.

>I don't see that this is a significant problem given all the other
>benefits.  We are talking about a MAJOR new version of Octave.  Think
>of 2.9.10 as a 3.0 release candidate, not just a new point release.

Good.  Given that, do you think it is reasonable to expect Linux
distributions to allow installing both 2.9.9 and 2.9.10 on the same box?
That would solve all of the possible problems I was worrying about.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040