Re: using octave from windows application

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: using octave from windows application
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:10:20 -0400

On Apr 2, 2007, at 8:52 PM, Muthiah Annamalai wrote:

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 11:33 -0700, Jain, Shrish wrote:
Hi All,

I want to run matlab scripts from my windows application, using
octave. I installed Octave-Forge
Files(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888), and
able to run octave on windows. However I am not sure whether it is
possible whether I can call octave library from my program and run
matlab scripts. It would be great if some one can give me pointers on
the same.

Thanks,

Shrish

If you are using a really powerful computer, a silly way to do this
would be to

0. Write your function & invocation into a temp file.
1. use 'system()' call in your Windows program & invoke Octave with
temp file as argument; which is the easiest way to do it.

Dont tell at me for performance. I know its really bad.

Advanced operations are

1. Using pipes (popen, pclose)
2. write your program in Octave & use pipes in Octave!
   (Converse of algo proposed above)
3. Embed Octave in your application by compiling it within.
   See docs at ? CODA manual link on Octave-forge site.

Use TCP/IP. Run an octave server using listen(portnum) which you can send commands and receive results. See octave-forge/main/miscellaneous/doc/listen.txt for a description of the protocol and octave-forge/extra/soctcl directory for an example of calling it from Tcl/Tk. It works for me under Windows, OS X and Linux.

        - Paul