mkoctfile returns error

From: BIJAN MINAEE
Subject: mkoctfile returns error
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:49:11 +0000 (GMT)

Hi
I am a newbie to Octave. I have installed Cygwin and Octave, and tested the Sombrero demo , which goes well.

while compiling hello.cc by mkoctfile I get the following message
 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
cannot find -lreadline
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Meanwhile I notice that an object file hello.o has been created in the directory.

What is missing from my download and where can I find the missing item?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Bijan Minaee