Re: LaTeX codes in plot text (titles, labels, etc.)

From: Peter Gustafson
Subject: Re: LaTeX codes in plot text (titles, labels, etc.)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:52:24 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
I think psfrag is a bit of a kluge.  If you are already using LaTeX
and gnuplot, then I think the epslatex terminal is a better solution.
You can convert the PostScript parts to PDF with epstopdf and then it
works with pdflatex too.
I agree with you about psfrag. Regarding epslatex, it is OK except that the current stable version is feature poor, doesn't look great (IMHO), and outputs in a way that doesn't offer a reasonable way of resizing the plot after it is created. I'm sorry if this is too off topic, and I should post my comments there... however I think it is important on this list too since it is a compatibility issue, and many users would like know what is and is not possible (or easy).

The real reason I'm reposting on this topic is that your comment about epslatex made me re-examine it as a gnuplot terminal. In doing so I found that the 4.2 series will have a much improved epslatex terminal. It approaches the power of the postscript terminal in features, and more importantly, has a "standalone" mode with creates a tex file (and eps file) which can easily be compiled into a standalone pdf. I've already written an octave m-file which automates this to my tastes (anybody want it?). There are still a few issues but it looks like this will be much easier as soon as gnuplot 4.2 arrives. Adventurous users can try it now.