Legal issues

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: Legal issues
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:04:33 -0800

Hi -

I was discussing the availability of Octave to a student the other day as a viable alternative to MATLAB. He was intrigued but asked about the legality of it - after all, both have a number of functions with the same names that perform the same tasks. While I know that the code under the hood is different - at least, Octave code is not pirated from MATLAB code - is it copyright infringement that the functions have the same names? I don't believe that Octave is illegal by any means, but I am not an expert in legal issues and would like a good explanation to give him.

Thanks,

-Ron