LaTeX codes in plot text (titles, labels, etc.)

From: Ronald Crummett
Subject: LaTeX codes in plot text (titles, labels, etc.)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:02:11 -0800

Hi -

In Matlab you can add special characters (such as Greek variables) to
plots using LaTeX codes - for example if you want the character for pi,
you could type \pi and the character would show up.

I know that something similar exists in Octave if you set gnuplot to an
enhanced mode.  We can get the character for pi by typing {/Symbol p}.

It seems to me that the LaTeX codes are much more intuitive.  This
could be because I am more familiar with LaTex than with the gnuplot
codes, but it is mildly frustrating to try to find the appropriate code
to generate a desired character.  In saying all this, I am wondering:

-Is it possible to write a script that would take the LaTeX codes and
convert them into the equivalent gnuplot code for processing?  So you
could type "title('\pi')" in Octave and get the pi character, for
example?

-Has anyone done this?

-I know Octave is undergoing significant overhaul with their plotting
system.  Would such a script be useful after the changes are
implemented?

-If this has not been done, and there is an interest for it, what would
be the best way to implement something like this?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing more on this.

-Ron