Re: usage of inline and fminbnd

From: etienne
Subject: Re: usage of inline and fminbnd
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:56:19 -0800 (PST)

  Hi Chris,

fminbnd works for me, as long as I pass something (e.g. an empty vector)
for the OPTIONS arg, to separate the first argument ("x") from the fixed
P1 argument ("b", in your case):

octave:25> help fminbnd
 -- Function File: [X] = fminbnd(F,LB,UB,[OPTIONS],P1,P2, ...)
     Find the minimum of a scalar function with the Golden Search
     method.

     *Inputs*
          A string contining the name of the function to minimiz

    LB
          Value to use as an initial lower bound on X.

    UB
          Value to use as an initial upper bound on X.

    OPTIONS
          Vector with control parameters (For compatibily with MATLAB,
          not used here)

    P1,P2, ...
          Optional parameter for function F

octave:26> function y = my_example_func (x,b), if nargin<2, b = 2.34;
endif; y = - cos (x-b) + (x-b)^2; endfunction
octave:27> x0 = fminbnd ("my_example_func",0,10) x0 =  2.3400
octave:28> x0 = fminbnd ("my_example_func",0,10,[],1.23)
x0 =  1.2300

  Hth,

  Etienne