Re: Octave workshop?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave workshop?
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:01:25 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> Can I post octave workshop questions in this list?
> If not, please, disconsider the message.
Sure, I don't see why not

> Using the workshop, instead I get the usual error messages, I get lots of
> strange symbols, like if some font was missing or encoded. Any hint in
> how to fix it?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Rick
>
> Error Example:
>
> > plot(a
> )error: 8®’à.k
> XÞ à.k
> error: h”Œà.k
> error: Èô¶à.k
> error: °’à.k
> error: ÀS»à.k
>
> > plot(a)
> error: Ð5»à.k
> èô¶à.k
> error: p¬’à.k
> error: Ï»à.k
> error: H³’à.k
> error: ›–à.k
Note that octave workshop is based on a 2.9.3 CVS build of octave with
MingW, and so both old and experimental. The problem you are seeing
above is known, but no solution is known to fix it. It is believed the
issue is with the mingw c++ std::string class where the strings are
being corrupted somehow.... This is a really difficult bug to track down
however.

At this point as workshop development has paused, the best octave 2.9.9
windows build is the one from Michael Goffioul, using MSVC and on my
home website at

http://www.dbateman.org/?page=octave&lang=EN

However, again this is a recent CVS of octave and so if you use this
consider yourself a developer.. I believe that with a 2.9.10 release of
octave we should have a reasonable binary for windows available..

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only