Re: Getting started with Octave in MS Windows

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Getting started with Octave in MS Windows
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:16:22 -0600

On 09/02/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On  9-Feb-2007, address@hidden wrote:

| When you feel discouraged, just chant the mantra:
|
| "Octave is cheaper than Matlab...Octave is cheaper than Matlab..."

You can focus on the price if you wish, but I think it is more
important that it is free (libre; as in speech) software.

I've often wondered if it could be possible to charge money for
downloading the Windows binary. It would still be free of course, so
they could redistribute and do everything else to it as they saw fit,
but could any revenue come from it? Windows users are used to the idea
that downloading software can possibly have a price tag attached to it
anyways. Open Kiosk is a piece of free software I know of that charges
its Windows users for the download, and I wonder if it works for them.

I'm probably daft, though... :-)

- Jordi G. H.