RE: Getting started with Octave in MS Windows

From: Ian
Subject: RE: Getting started with Octave in MS Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:48:40 -0000

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the fast help.

I had already discovered "C:\Program Files\GNU Octave
2.1.73\usr\share\octave\site\m\startup\octaverc" (from the manual) and added
"startup" to it, which runs ~\octave_files\startup.m.  I did not know that
adding an octaverc in ~\octave_files
would override the site octaverc.  For now, I can't see any preference
between these two approaches.

I am sticking with ~\octave_files as the working directory until I have had
some experience with this - just in case there are any problems.  Have you
encountered any - apart from having to addpath of course?

Interesting about cygwin.  I would prefer not to put myself into an alien
environment too - but I don't know what I am missing by not using it.
Perhaps John Eaton can put me right on this.

I had discovered that I can ^C but not ^V within Octave.  Its probably not
necessary to paste though if you do all development within a script as you
can paste into the editor instead.

Sorry about edit_history.  That's a red herring.  I now realise that its
much easier to not use this but to use a script editor instead.  I
discovered the ScITE editor when using edit_history and then discovered that
it could be launched directly from "C:\Program Files\GNU Octave
2.1.73\wscite\SciTE.exe".  This opened up the possibility to keep my editor
open alongside running Octave and to simply save the script (every time I
make changes) and then enter the script name into Octave - a much simpler
way of working I think.

BTW, a big thank you to Robert for recommending ScITE, even though I had
discovered it myself by now.  I like his tip on using the ability of command
line to stack multiple commands which can be recalled together.

All in all, this has been a difficult entry for me into Octave.  I don't
think the Unix world realise that those from the Windows world need some
hand-holding to get started on this.  I have had to do far too much digging
around to work out how to do the basics.  If I stick with this, I may write
up my preferred modus-operandi for the benefit of others; or maybe this has
already been done but I haven't found it yet - does anyone know if it has.

Regards, Ian