Re: Matlab central and octave

From: Nicolas Pettiaux
Subject: Re: Matlab central and octave
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 22:30:25 +0100

2007/2/6, address@hidden <address@hidden>:

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your mail

I can't agree that Octave Forge, at least in the current version, is
appropriate replacement for MATLAB fileexchange area (MFA).

I am sorry for the wrong formulation I had if you understood that I
wanted to replace MFA by octave-forge.

What I would like to propose is an easy way for the people who
contributed good code to MFA (there is some "pair evaluation"
apparently) to also consider making it available as octave-forge
contributed code, under the GPL.

For the best, I would suggest that the initial developpers be the
maintainer of their code in the octave-forge.

What could they benefit from ? Some/more recognition from the users
for whom they already
have decided to share their code, and possibly others, while
contributing to a general tools to a good framework that already
exists.

What would the octave community benefit ? more code, more tools,
hopefully maintained.

My proposal (limited to one person from Ecole polytechnique who had a
good review on MFA)
was to have him contribute his code.

And also have you from octave-help comment on this proposal.

I guess people, who contribute to MFA, will found better click mouse for
some times, than involving all that you describe there.

I think that our proposal are not that different.

I would be glad if more people will say their opinion about the idea.
WBR, Dmitrey.

yes

Thanks,

Nicolas